Thursday, February 3, 2011

SPCA Dogs

Thought I would show you some of the great dogs I have walked lately.  Most of the photos are less than perfect as the dogs were interested in smells, sights and sounds instead of posing prettily.

This is Jill, the first dog I walked at the Monterey SPCA.

A few weeks ago we received a slew of Great Danes.  The breeder decided she couldn't manage them any more.  This was the mom who came in with a litter.  I didn't get to see the puppies. :(

Continuing with the B&W theme is this lovely guy.


Here's his face.


This is one of the daughters of the Great Dane mom above.  Also very sweet.  Danes are so easy to walk, at least that was my experience with these girls.


This lovely brindle Pittie was interested in each sound and sight.  A very sweet boy.



Isn't she a little sweetie?  She is a Wire Haired Fox Terrier.
When she walks, she looks like she floats above the ground - just beautiful.

There have been so many more.  But my job is to walk them, not to take their pictures.  The little ones (there are so many) are even harder to photograph. 

There is a little boy named Lucky (there are quite a few "Luckys" on any day).  He is a mix of Chihuahua and something black and tan.  He has those dots of light brown above his eyes that I associate with Rotties - but surely not!  He has a deformed front leg and paw that you don't notice for quite a while because he is so friendly and cute.  I guess it is why he is still with us.

It is interesting to me how my attitude has changed about the animals at the SPCA or other rescue organization.  There was a time that I couldn't even consider going to see the animals because I would feel so sorry for them.  Now I know that these are the lucky ones.  They will get a loving home, and while they are here, they are surrounded by people who want the best for them. 

Living in a kennel with lots of other unknown dogs is not the best life, but in most cases it will lead to a forever home with a good, caring family.  Meanwhile they will be comfortable.  They are well - fed and any physical problems will be addressed.  If they have psychological scars, these will be addressed too, by the animal behaviorist and other caring staff and volunteers.

No comments:

Post a Comment