Saturday, December 4, 2010

Charkha spun scarf

Well, the first scarf using charkha spun weft singles is off the loom.  I am quite pleased with it.  Here is a close-up:
Don't ask me how I got that photo so large; I have no idea.  But I left it because it really does show the close up I was after.  I forgot to bring my fringe twister, so will have to try doing these the old fashioned way, with my fingers.  I'll let you know how that goes.

In cutting off this scarf, I tried a new (to me) way to secure the rest of the warp.  I have never liked using glue as my friend/teacher Alison does.  I just don't like using sticky stuff around my weaving.  So I tried this method.  I wove a generous 1/2 inch with waste yarn.  Then opened the next shed and inserted a dowel that I had from another project.  Then wove another 1/2 inch.  Like this:
Next, I cut the woven scarf off close to the first 1/2 inch of weaving.  Then, after removing the woven scarf, I lashed the dowel to the apron rod.

It seems quite sturdy.  I will report further as I start the second scarf, which I want to weave with two different colours of cotton.  Haven't decided whether I will still just use plain weave or if I will use the icicle technique from Saori.

No comments:

Post a Comment